Interested in helping organise a spectacular New Librarians Symposium? Expressions of interest are now open!
How will the committee work?
The core Organising Committee will be a small group of no more than eight members, with specific roles for each member. We are looking for motivated, creative and collaborative people to lead in the following roles:
- Experience (tours, workshops, travel and social coordination)
- Proposals and speaker liaison
Each member of the Organising Committee will be responsible for chairing a sub-committee related to their role. Sub-committee chairs will be responsible for managing particular aspects of the event organisation and will report regularly to the wider Organising Committee.
Other opportunities to get involved
Not sure about joining the Organising Committee in a leadership role? We’re also looking for people to participate in sub-committees in each area.
In addition to roles on the Organising Committee and sub-committees, there will be numerous opportunities to get involved in shaping the direction of NLS6. We’ll be seeking input from potential delegates throughout the process, and delegates will even have the opportunity to help choose the content for the event.
Do I need to live in Brisbane?
No, the Organising Committee will be a virtual committee. Some roles may be better carried out by someone based in Brisbane, but there are plenty of ways for out-of-towners to contribute.
Who are you looking for?
New graduates, students, and others with an interest in new graduate issues. Members of the Organising Committee must also be personal members of ALIA or another related association.
We are looking for people who have the time and energy to commit to helping organise the event. If you’re interested in a role on the Organising Committee, it is important that you understand the nature of the role and that you will need to invest several hours each week in NLS6 activities.
What do I need to do?
Tell us how you’d like to help! We’re looking for expressions of interest for leadership roles in the Organising Committee and support roles in the sub-committees.
If you’re interested in taking part, we’d like you to identify a specific role on the Organising Committee or a particular sub-committee you’d like to join. Please submit an expression of interest related to your particular area of interest.
If you think of a key role we’ve left off the list, please let us know and express your interest in that role.
You are welcome to express interest in more than one role but please be aware that, due to the workload involved in organising an event like this, it is unlikely that you’ll be allocated more than one area of responsibility.
What do I include in my expression of interest?
- a short CV (no more than two pages)
- one of the following:
- a statement of interest in a particular role on the Organising Committee, including an outline of why you are interested in this position and an overview of the skills, knowledge and experience you will bring to the position (no more than one page) OR
- a statement of interest in joining a particular sub-committee, including an outline of why you are interested in this sub-committee and an overview of the skills, knowledge and experience you will bring to the committee (no more than one page)
- one of the following:
- a statement of employer support for your participation on the Organising Committee or sub-committee, including an indication that you will be allowed to undertake some activities on work time OR
- a statement indicating that you are willing and able to commit your personal time to committee duties over the next 12 months
- a 100 word statement in response to the question “What would your ideal NLS look like?”
We encourage you to think beyond your experience working in the library and information professions when preparing your expression of interest. Draw on previous careers, committee involvement and any other relevant experience.
Submit your expression of interest by email to email@example.com (remove .nospam) by midnight Friday 30 March (UPDATED).
Expressions of interest will be considered by a panel comprised of:
- Kate Davis (NLS6 co-chair)
- Vanessa Warren (NLS6 co-chair and NGAC chair)
- Mel Chivers (NGG coordinator)
- Christina Granata (ALIA Events Manager)
We’ll let you know the outcome of the process by the end of March.